Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Empty Wagons Make the Most Noise, and the 6 o’clock News

I decided in junior high school that I wanted to become a journalist. I loved writing, and my father even encouraged my ambition with my first Brother typewriter. My, have things changed! When was the last time you saw a typewriter? Now, we have the PC, iPad, and a host of other technology gadgets I will not try to name! Unfortunately, technology is not the only thing that has changed.

Coupled with my passion for writing, I wanted to become a journalist because I believed that writing does not lead to boredom; there is always something fresh to write about. However, in the day of new media craze, one can hardly find “fresh” news, unless it is something scandalous. Sound bytes and headlines get the most attention, rather than the facts, especially when they are centered on disparaging someone’s character or inciting anger.

In its May 3, 2010 print issue, Time magazine has a poignant picture of a gun-toting man with his back to the camera. The background shows a small crowd gathered in Virginia to protest our federal government and gun control. The writer emphasizes that the media’s love affair with such episodes, while more important issues get less attention.

The evolution of the media into a magnet for hype has given fringe movements such as the Tea party and others space to vent pent up frustrations, while more interesting, educating and intellectually stimulating stories are largely ignored. Or at best, listed as a footnote. One can argue whether or not it is society’s penchant for “news”, or the influence of a 24/7 news cycle. But, we must not take the possible influence of these groups lightly. Is the issue a network or news publication’s need or high ratings the driving force, or is it the ability of these groups to organize and garner the attention? If it is the latter, we really need to examine our values and priorities. Civility is joining the dinosaur for extinction. I am afraid that once we completely loose this, we have lost what separates us from animals.


“When once the forms of civility are violated, there remains little hope of return to kindness and decency.” Samuel Johnson

“So let us begin anew – remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.” President John F. Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment