Friday, July 29, 2011

A Life of No Regrets

My daughter lied to me recently and it happened around my birthday, of all times. Several days prior and even after my birthday, she continuously asked what I wanted to do.

I really had no expectation to do more than appreciate another year of life. I shared this with my daughter and yet, she still decided to tell a lie.

Eventually, we made plans to have a movie night on the Saturday following my birthday. Well, the lie was that she never intended to share a movie night with her mother. Instead, she gave me a surprise birthday party!

Hearing my friends yell, “SURPRISE!” unexpectedly and reminding my heart that it was one year older spawned the Reflections series this month. The occasion was another opportunity for me to appreciate my blessed life. I love my daughter for creating wonderful memories of celebrationfor me.

Birthdays are a wonderful time for celebrating life; a reminder of how far I have come and how far I still have to go. Another year of life reminds me of a promise I made to myself nearly 10 years ago: I would not live a life of regrets.

I can grow old kicking and screaming. Or, I can embrace each year of life the Lord grants to serve and fulfill my purpose. I believe serving others is an opportunity to give back the grace that I take advantage of daily.

I do not fear death. I fear dying before fulfilling my destiny and God-ordained purpose. The good thing is that I have a choice. Will I act and seize opportunities, or will I respond to the fear and doubt that is against my success?

Will I avoid obstacles, or will I use those obstacles as stepping stones toward my destiny?

Will I walk the predictable, methodical path, or will I occasionally surprise myself by doing something different?

Sometimes, inaction also leads to regrets. Inaction leads to the “what ifs” in life. I can choose to do nothing and wonder about what never occurred. Whether big or small, I will continue to embrace opportunities, risks and moments that are designed by God.

I have faith that God will not allow me to die before my purpose is fulfilled. A life lesson is to never become complacent in a place where God does not want me to be. I have the courage to persist – even when circumstances seem to reflect the opposite of God’s promises.

I could play a game of chess in my head. Strategizing the safe moves and risk becoming paralyzed, never making a decision. Or, I can make a decision, accept full responsibility for the consequences and move on.

I choose the latter. For me, the biggest regret is never making a decision, never taking chances. Never living a life expecting great things. Never engaging in meaningful service. Never using my God-given abilities.

Sure, there are some things in my past that I regret. However, those are things I cannot change. It happened; it is over. I let it go. I live to see another day.

Maybe next year, my daughter will surprise me with a trip to Paris!

“The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have.” ~Louis E. Boone

No comments:

Post a Comment